If you are undecided on what skills/TVET program to study, you may want to consider jobs that employers are desperate to fill.
This also apply if you’re planning planning a change in your profession or simply starting out in your career.
Check out the Critical Occupations List 2018/2019 before you make your decision on which course to pursue or next career decision.
The Critical Occupations List (COL) shows occupations that are skilled, sought-after, and strategic across 18 sectors in Malaysia. The COL identifies shortages in occupations that are sought-after by employers. As a job seeker, this means that with the right skills, education and experience, you can increase your chances of getting hired by focusing on jobs on the COL list.
In the 2018/2019 list, a total of 59 skilled occupations were identified (Some of those in the list has a NOSS – National Occupational Skills Standard)
The COL was first put together in 2015/2016 and some occupations have been in demand since. Here are the jobs which have been on the list for three consecutive years.
- Finance Manager
- Policy and Planning Manager
- Business Services Manager
- Research and Development Manager
- Information and Communications Technology Manager
- Geologist and Geophysicist
- Mathematician, Actuary and Statistician
- Industrial and Production Engineer
- Mechanical Engineer
- Mining Engineer, Metallurgist and Related Professional
- Engineering Professional (Excluding Electrotechnology) Not Elsewhere Classified
- Electrical Engineer
- Electronic Engineer
- Telecommunications Engineer
- Manufacturing Professional
- Financial Analyst
- Systems Analyst
- Software Developer
- Applications Programmer
- Software and Applications Developer and Analyst Not Elsewhere Classified
- Database Designer and Administrator
- Systems Administrator
- Computer Network Professional
- Electronics Engineering Technician
- Mechanical Engineering Technician
- Insurance Agent
Source: Adapted from Critical Skills Monitoring Committee